My "cross" country experience culminated with the "World's Largest Cross" located in Effingham, Illinois. Monumental absurdities. Is this not what the Midwest is supposed to be all about? I have to say that overall I found southern Illinois to be nice, lush. At least above the ground. I could smell the soil in the farm fields from the highway. A tractor plowing to the right kicked up a dirt shit storm that blew across the road like the Dust Bowl. That dirt, it was a foul smell, like a Styrofoam cooler full of night crawlers in the hot sun. But then I finally made it to my cozy Marriott.
After I dropped my junk off in the hotel room, it was time for something to eat. Instead I found myself driving to the Cahokia Mounds. I had learned about these in an archaeology class I took, and a friend had recommended that I check them out. The site is only 3 miles away from my hotel, so why not? As I drove in, there was a small marsh on the left side with a few egrets and herons. To the back of the parking lot was a field with 17 deer feasting, along with a few more egrets. I walked around to the mounds and even crawled up the steep side of one of them. It was amazing, the view was beautiful and it did not take a lot to realize that this place was very special. Certainly not just a bunch of grassy hills. As I wandered, a calm washed over me and I realized that in all of my road delirium, coming here was exactly what I needed to complete my days ramble.
No comments:
Post a Comment